Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bulbs and Peonies

 Well, I've been obsessing about bulbs. Got the John Scheepers catalog and I couldn't stop myself, just wanted everything they had to offer. But, I finally settled on some color choices and placed the order (eh, I've already got a list going for next fall...I know, I"m OBSESSED)! All bulbs have been planted except for a couple of daffodils that I have to tuck somewhere. Planted tulips in the front and side gardens as well as daffodils. Front is mostly shades of purple and the side is a mix of apricot and pink. Also, planted crocus along the front walkway and hyacinths again shades of purple and some yellow. All together planted ~400 bulbs. Thank goodness for the bulb auger that attached to my husbands electric drill. It made the job so easy and it also helped that we had rain earlier in the week, which made the ground nice and soft. Now, just need to keep the squirrels away. I've been checking and haven't seen any holes dug up yet. Crossing my fingers, and might do a squirrel dance. I made sure I planted the Tulip bulbs at least 8inches deep, so I'm hoping this helps.
My last fall shipment of plant material arrived today, super excited...it's like Christmas! I sent away for some beautiful peonies from Peonys Envy http://www.peonysenvy.com/. They were so beautifully packaged, it was like receiving a gift from a good friend.

Even got a nice card thanking me for the order.
Hoping to get the peonies into the ground tomorrow, hopefully there won't be too much snow! Yes, it's snowing BEFORE Halloween!! I'm planting these near my coral colored peonies, creating a small peony cutting garden.

2 comments:

  1. A bulb auger - that's what I need! I usually have to wait until we get some rain to plant bulbs so I can dig in my clay :)

    I love bulbs as well! They are so irresistible! This year I used Deer Off to repel the squirrels, and so far it seems to be working (knock on wood!)

    The peonies look like they'll be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bulbs (tulips in particular) and peonies (especially since they are deer resistant).
    Your selections are lovely!
    I too, have invested in a bulb auger since I will be planting about 1500 tulips next month.
    Can't wait to see posts of your hard work. It will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete